Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Moooooovies

I saw two excellent Sundance movies last night at the Broadway. Both happened to be French. Turns out listening to those French tapes in my car for 2 weeks really didn't pay off. But, the subtitles were excellent.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.
It was a story about Jean-Dominique Bauby. He was the editor of Elle magazine who experienced a sudden cerebrovascular accident. Essential he was completely paralyzed. With the exception of his left eye. His condition is called "locked-in" syndrome. His brain functions completely normal, but he is unable to communicate. His speech therapist developed a system using the alphabet and blinks of his eye. She would read the alphabet in order of the most frequently used letters, he would think of what he wanted to say, she would recite the letters and he would indicate which letter by the blink of an eye. He wrote a book, which then became a movie. It was incredible! I loved it, even though it was very sad. It took as long as 5 hours to write a single paragraph. Here is the trailer, I highly recommend it.


Persepolis
Also wonderfully French, is a cartoon about a young womans life in Tehran, Iran from the late 1970's to the late 1990's. It is black and white animation, but was written so well. She tells her story of living in Iran as a little girl, moving to Vienna when the war intensified, and moving back to Iran in her early twenties. It disturbed me to see the regression of the country through the years. It in fact became more oppressive, to women especially, in the last 20 years. I really enjoyed it. The Iranian government tried to stop the film from being shown at several world film festivals, but was for the most part unsuccessful.
Here is the trailer:



I went to the movies with a friend from work who was meeting a friend of hers, who was also bringing a friend. Well her friends' friend (are you still with me ?) was a friend of mine ! We hung out a lot in college, but I hadn't seen him in a year or so. It was a funny reunion. Such a small world I suppose.

In other news, it snowed here again ! I am so tired of the snowing. I think that the weather knows that Stuart is gone and I am left to shovel on my drive way on my own. With a little help from my father in law who is nice enough to stop by every now and then and shovel anonymously.

I got Booker T's clicker training book. He is going to be on David Letterman before you even know it! I hope. I have to read the book first.

Also I am probably going to have to have surgery on my foot. My bones in on the outside of my right foot are separating, and causing a lot of pain. So the Dr. wants to shave down the bone (lovely I know) and fix it with a screw (even better right). I have a problem with the arches in my feet that are causing them to flatten and widen. It is really excellent.So I have to go back in two weeks for a check up. He said first he may try some cortisone injections into the joint. Either way I am super excited. If I have to have surgery, I will be in a cast for 6 weeks and won't be able to drive. Someone shoot me.

2 comments:

Janalu said...

I'll shoot you.. in the foot. Hahaha Who was the friends friend? Oh and I was sick yesterday if you even care. I'm sure your way to busy with the French. Just click it.

Hair Goddess said...

Please do not say shaving bone and foot in the same sentence again... that shit needs a 2 drink min. to hear! YIKES! also if you could train my x-box controller eating scoot with that clicks it jobby that would be freakin swell!