Thursday, September 18, 2008

Negative, Negative, No! No! No!

While I feel up to date on political issues in our state, in general I don't get too pissed about stuff. I realize that I live in a conservative state and therefore should expect a certain level of stupid conservative laws and policies. I am putting my foot down. I am drawing the line.

Thanks to a new law passed by the legislature as of October 1st no malt beverages will be sold in grocery stores. That means no Mike's Hard Lemonade,no Fuzzy Navels, no Boones Farm. The new law mandates that all malt beverages, or "Alcopops" as they refer to them, may only be sold in State Liquor Stores. Why must you rob the public of these delicious lady beverages, or "Bitch Beers" as I call them. If I want to drown my sorrows in a bottle of Boone's Farm Melon Ball on a Sunday afternoon I should have the right ! People, you can't plan depressive episodes, they just happen.

The reasoning for removal from grocery stores ??? Because these "Alcopops" are clearly marketed toward underage people and are there fore encouraging under age drinking. PEOPLE! PLEASE! The advertising restrictions are so tight that kids aren't even seeing them! If you are worried about your child drinking underage, or at all, it is the responsibility or parents to educate their kids on the dangers or binge drinking, drinking and driving etc. Have harsher repercussions for stores that sell to minors and for persons who purchase alcohol for minors. Don't take away my right to enjoy a fuzzy navel because it doesn't conform to your set of values.

Distributors for Anheuser-Busch and Diageo, the worlds largest breweries, say that they will no longer distribute their delicious products in Utah. The cost to adhere to the labeling laws required by the state of Utah for sale in the State Liquor Store is not worth it for them.

So there you go. I'm pissed. Real pissed. And I don't even really like these beverages. IT'S THE PRINCIPLE OF THE MATTER!

See the article in Salt Lake Tribune here.

4 comments:

"M" said...

I totally see why you are annoyed! That is utter craziness. You should move to Idaho. There you can by hard liquor in the grocery store. Freaks me out every time I walk in to Food Fresh/Family Food or whatever the name is in Newport!

Em

Tiffany said...

OH MY GOSH! I've actually been following this Law it's been in the works for quite some time. I agree with you 100% and I'm a SOBER individual. To be honest Silly names such as boones farm, or Fuzzy naval may be appealing to the younger crowd... But so are all the funny alcohol commercials for beer these days. Let's face it ALCOHOL is appealing to young kids. You cannot hide them from the very real world that we live in. Ug, This is ridiculous. They might as well take all alcoholic beverages out of grocery stores and only sell them in not just state liqour stores but designated alcoholic malls or something! So Dumb and it pisses me off as well! Let's start a Union!

Janalu said...

Move to Reno. They give out hard mikes at school lunch. And all Alcopos are at jr. high schoolers eye level.

Lisa said...

Yikes! I had not been paying attention to that law at all. i had no idea! I'm going to have to store hop and stock up!